[gradsusr] Potential vorticity

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 7 12:09:08 EDT 2011

Bogdan,

Please check out Bob Hart's script here:
ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/scripts/isen.gs

There is an example of calculating "pv320" for a single level.  Seems
script is designed to do one level.  Thinking that the script could be
called to calculate a 2D PV field for a given isentropic level, and then
use GrADS "set gxout fwrite"
(http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetgxout.html) to write the
field to a GrADS binary file before proceeding to the next isentropic
level.  So the 3D IPV dataset would be built level-by-level after which
a GrADS ctl file could be used to read in the 3D IPV field for
calculating a vertical cross section...  If using GrADS v2, could use
GrADS "sdfwrite" instead
(http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsdfwrite.html) and would not
need a GrADS ctl file for reading in the data later...

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
official or unofficial position of the United States Federal Government,
the United States Department of Commerce, or NOAA."