[gradsusr] Problem Openinig NetCdf,hdf file

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 6 08:04:38 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:06 AM, vijay pawar <vijay.pawar87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>        I am very new to GrADS,the version which i have is 1.9 rc-1.

On which operating system?

> I have downloaded certain images showing sea surface temperature and I am
> trying to open them in GrADS ,I tried different commands

Like what?

> but still getting the error could not ingest metadata. I also used the
> executable gradshdf ,gradsnc.

You need to provide the output of

% ncdump -c filename

so that we will be able to diagnose the problem with your file. Before that,
have you carefully read the section of the User's Guide that deals with
netcdf/hdf files?

    http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html

In particular, the part relating to the COARDS conventions? For using the
"sdfopen" command, your file must satisfy the COARDS conventions:

   http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html

Good Luck,

     Arlindo

>       Please help