[gradsusr] Pressure --> Height & Height --> Pressure

Andrew Revering andy at f5data.com
Fri Oct 22 00:51:41 EDT 2010

let's say I want to know at what pressure level the variable hgt0deg is at.
Is there a function that will return a pressure level given a known height?
Likewise I'll eventually need to go the other way. knowing a pressure level
return the height it is at.

I tried pinterp.gs http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~rhart/software/pinterp.gs

but I'm not sure that this is actually doing what I'm asking, unless I'm not
understanding the input properly.

Maybe someone can explain to me the difference between the pgrid and plev
inputs in this function. Let's say I want to draw a map of temperatures at
the 867mb level. what are my 3 inputs since it's

temperature=pinterp(temp,pgrid,plev)

I'm assuming pgrid or plev needs to be 867.but what's the other input for?

What I'm picturing is something simple like..

aheight = height(pressure)

and

apressure = pressure(height)