[gradsusr] CDIFF Versus HDIVG?

LeeJoice, Robert N rnleejoi at nps.edu
Wed Oct 20 22:57:40 EDT 2010

Eric,

Thank you very much for the assistance.  You were correct in my error.  I
have corrected and verified for both divergence and vorticity.  I appreciate
the help and the very detailed explanation.

Thank you for your time,

Robert

On 10/19/10 6:58 PM, "Eric Altshuler" <ela at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hello Robert,

Your expressions for du and dv are incorrect for calculating
> divergence. I assume you copied the expressions from the grads documentation
> page for cdiff, where an example is presented for calculating vorticity.
> However, the expressions are different when calculating divergence. Use the
> following:

du = cdiff(ugrdprs,x)
dv = cdiff(vgrdprs*cos(lat*3.1416/180),y)

> based these expressions on the formula for divergence in spherical coordinates
> given in Holton's book, in the appendix on vector analysis (I have the 4th
> edition, but older editions should have the same appendix).

As an aside, I
> think it's possible to obtain more accurate approximations for divergence and
> vorticity than those given in the grads documentation, because the factor
> cos(lat) can be taken outside the derivative operator and differentiated
> analytically rather than using finite differencing. Using the product rule of
> differentiation and a bit of algebra, I have derived the following sequence of
> calculations for these quantities (my definitions of intermediate quantities
> are different, but the end result is the
> same):

pi=3.14159265359
dtr=pi/180
a=6.371e6
dx=a*cos(dtr*lat)*dtr*cdiff(lon,
> x)
dy=a*dtr*cdiff(lat,y)
div=cdiff(u,x)/dx+cdiff(v,y)/dy-v*tan(dtr*lat)/a
vor=
> cdiff(v,x)/dx-cdiff(u,y)/dy+u*tan(dtr*lat)/a
def1=cdiff(u,x)/dx-cdiff(v,y)/dy-
> v*tan(dtr*lat)/a
def2=cdiff(v,x)/dx+cdiff(u,y)/dy+u*tan(dtr*lat)/a

In these
> formulas, substitute your wind variable names for u and v. In addition to
> divergence and vorticity, there are also calculations of the components of
> deformation, def1 and def2, and total deformation is equal to mag(def1,def2).
> These formulas (in terms of continuous fields) can also be found in Bluestein
> (1992), "Synoptic-Dynamic Meteorology in Midlatitudes", Vol. I, p. 111.

Best
> regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist