[gradsusr] Omega

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:30:21 EDT 2010

Wendell,
I can think of two ways:

1) an approximation for omega is -rho*g*w, where rho is air density at
whatever height, g = 9.8, and w is vertical velocity in z-wind vertical
velocity
2) Omega can also be approximated by using the 'vint' function.  What you
would do is vertically integrate divergence up to the level at which you
want omega.  For example, if you want 700 mb omega, you'd do 'd vint(psfc,
hdivg(u,v), 700)'.  Obviously make sure all of those expressions are in the
same units.

Good luck.

Jeff Duda

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Wendell Farias <wendellrgf at yahoo.com.br>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm using the ARWpost and It don't calculate the vertical velocity Omega.
> How can I calculate the Omega on Grads?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Wendell

Jeff Duda