[gradsusr] help with *.grd files (am new to GrADS)!

govindas at msu.edu govindas at msu.edu
Sun Oct 10 15:39:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am new to GrADS and I would like to get some info with my work. I have a gridded dataset *.grd, which I want to convert into ASCII file (or someother better format) to be able to do some statistical analysis with. here are my basic doubts.....

1. is it possible that statistical analysis can be performed with *.grd file themselves?
2. I have my other datasets in different formats like netcdf, ASCII - can I import such files into GrADS and work on my statistical analyses?
3. As I am not familiar with GrADS and its functionalities,  I was planning to do my analyses using R, in which case I want my .grd file converted into some other "R"-friendly format (I tried using some R packages/functions to convert gridded format into ASCII but, it did not work!)
4. if possible, can I get some tutorials specific to above mentioned issues, and analyses like PCA, Time-Series analysis, lag auto-correlations and stuff..! I was going thro' some tutorials where I obtained basic info about reading the .ctl file and plotting out the variables (which helped me visualize my dataset actually!)

Thanks,
Mahalakshmi