[gradsusr] problem with draw mark command

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Mon Nov 22 15:50:29 EST 2010

Mira,
It's huge because you're using a huge size.  Try something in the 0.1 to 0.2
range and adjust as needed.
Stephen Mc

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Mira Losic <mlosic at envsci.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the speedy response!  Your suggestion does indeed fix my
> problem, however now the actual mark is extremely large.  For instance,
> even for a size 1 mark, the dot is huge.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers and thanks again.
> Mira
>
> > Hi Mira:
> >
> > The first message is because you are not actively displaying a variable,
> > so there is no scaling environment (see Jeff Duda's message from 10/19).
> > So, display a variable first then you can "q w2xy", as you have in the
> > second part of your message.
> >
> > The second problem is, I think, that you have switched the lat and lon
> > in your query.  You have:
> >
> > query w2xy 64.3 -96.08
> >
> > and this will look for lon=64.3 and lat=-96.08, and so GrADS returns the
> > page position to be at -300,-347 on the page.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > Mira Losic wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'd like to draw a map of my WRF domain (as should be described in my
> >> ctl
> >> file) and then simply mark a few stations within the domain with the
> >> 'draw
> >> mark' command in grads.  I get an error when trying to draw my first
> >> mark.
> >>
> >> Below are my commands and my resulting error.
> >>
> >> ga-> open BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >> Scanning description file:  BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >> Data file BASERUN_81_short.nc is open as file 1
> >> LON set to -116.1 -34.1464
> >> LAT set to 55.9 78.7109
> >> LEV set to 1 1
> >> Time values set: 1981:7:1:6 1981:7:1:6
> >> E set to 1 1
> >> Notice: Implied interpolation for file BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >>  Interpolation will be performed on any data displayed from this file
> >> ga-> set display color white
> >> ga-> set mproj nps
> >> ga-> set mpdset hires
> >> MPDSET file name = hires
> >> ga-> set grid on
> >> grid is on, style 5 color 15
> >> ga-> draw map
> >> ga-> query w2xy 64.3 -96.08
> >> No scaling environment
> >>
> >> The puzzling thing is that I do not get this error when I display a
> >> variable, say SNOWH before I query the lat and lon (below), but I still
> >> don't see a mark at the location on my map.
> >>
> >> ga-> open BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >> Scanning description file:  BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >> Data file BASERUN_81_short.nc is open as file 1
> >> LON set to -116.1 -34.1464
> >> LAT set to 55.9 78.7109
> >> LEV set to 1 1
> >> Time values set: 1981:7:1:6 1981:7:1:6
> >> E set to 1 1
> >> Notice: Implied interpolation for file BASERUN_81_short.ctl
> >>  Interpolation will be performed on any data displayed from this file
> >> ga-> set display color white
> >> ga-> set mproj nps
> >> ga-> set mpdset hires
> >> MPDSET file name = hires
> [...]

The information contained in this e-mail message
is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.