[gradsusr] problem with draw mark command

Mira Losic mlosic at envsci.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 22 13:49:54 EST 2010

Hi All,

I'd like to draw a map of my WRF domain (as should be described in my ctl
file) and then simply mark a few stations within the domain with the 'draw
mark' command in grads.  I get an error when trying to draw my first mark.

Below are my commands and my resulting error.

ga-> open BASERUN_81_short.ctl
Scanning description file:  BASERUN_81_short.ctl
Data file BASERUN_81_short.nc is open as file 1
LON set to -116.1 -34.1464
LAT set to 55.9 78.7109
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 1981:7:1:6 1981:7:1:6
E set to 1 1
Notice: Implied interpolation for file BASERUN_81_short.ctl
 Interpolation will be performed on any data displayed from this file
ga-> set display color white
ga-> set mproj nps
ga-> set mpdset hires
MPDSET file name = hires
ga-> set grid on
grid is on, style 5 color 15
ga-> draw map
ga-> query w2xy 64.3 -96.08
No scaling environment

The puzzling thing is that I do not get this error when I display a
variable, say SNOWH before I query the lat and lon (below), but I still
don't see a mark at the location on my map.

ga-> open BASERUN_81_short.ctl
Scanning description file:  BASERUN_81_short.ctl
Data file BASERUN_81_short.nc is open as file 1
LON set to -116.1 -34.1464
LAT set to 55.9 78.7109
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 1981:7:1:6 1981:7:1:6
E set to 1 1
Notice: Implied interpolation for file BASERUN_81_short.ctl
 Interpolation will be performed on any data displayed from this file
ga-> set display color white
ga-> set mproj nps
ga-> set mpdset hires
MPDSET file name = hires
ga-> set grid on
grid is on, style 5 color 15
ga-> draw map
ga-> set t 1
Time values set: 1981:7:1:6 1981:7:1:6
ga-> d SNOWH
Notice:  Automatic Grid Interpolation Taking Place
Contouring: 0 to 240 interval 30
ga-> query w2xy 64.3 -96.08
X = -300.1  Y = -347.782
ga-> draw mark 1 -300.1 -347.782 3

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much,
Mira