[gradsusr] Help with ctl file for .bin data

Nick Heath nkh09 at fsu.edu
Fri Nov 19 21:30:20 EST 2010

Hi,

I am having trouble creating a control file for some HYCOM currents data I have.  I have attached a sample data file and control file I am using to try and read it.  I am used to using netcdf or grb data and this is my first time trying to create a control file for a .bin data file.  I know the data file contains u and v components of the currents as big endian floating arrays and I believe my x,y,z and t dimensions are correct.  The problem is, when I display either component, the values are huge over land.  I am using Grads ver. 2.0.  If anyone could help me find what I am missing in my control file that would be great.  Or, if I need to find out more about the data file itself, any help on exactly what I  need to know about the data would be appreciated.  Also, for people familiar with IDL (which I am not), here are a few lines of code that read this same data file with no problems:

n=541
m=385
u=fltarr(n,m)
v=fltarr(n,m)