[gradsusr] GrADS help, plotting shaded contour precip/ptype products over a basemap/background

Jeff Chabot jsc219 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:51:33 EST 2010

Dear GrADS Users,
I have been trying to apply a basemap to my precip/ptype shaded contour
products on my personal website for some time now.  I have brainstormed and
searched the GrADS online documents and have come up with ideas, but they
have never worked.  My latest idea was to use Google Maps terrain data as a
background to the map.  I thought it was a good idea, but I discovered that
I still cannot resolve the issue in that precip = 0 shows either all white
or all black depending on what I choose for the background, covering up my
basemap.  I really thought the following command would have resolved that
issue, but it did not:

printim precip_NE_1.png png x570 y435 -b NE.png -t 0 Versions:GrADS: 2.0a9
OS: Fedora 13
Sample: http://jeffsweatherservice.com/grads/nam/ptype_NE_2.png

I know this can be done because of the example:

http://wxmaps.org/pix/ez.east.html

Any assistance here would be much appreciated.Sincerely,

Jeff Chabot
Email: jsc219 at gmail.com
Web: http://jeffsweatherservice.com