[gradsusr] file formats: unix versus windows

Huddleston, John Huddleston at cira.colostate.edu
Mon May 17 13:10:29 EDT 2010

Liping,

Since they are connected via the USB port you can still treat it like a mount.

Use 'sudo blkid' to identify the UUID of the device.

Sudo Edit the /etc/fstab file (make a backup first) and add a line at the bottom similar to your ext lines with a new mount point; however, the device will be ntfs and not ext3 or ext4.

Make a directory of the same name as your mount point.

mount /yourMountPoint

Some people use /media/usb1 to clearly identify it.  Use what you can remember easily.

Unmount it if you are going to disconnect the USB drive.

John Huddleston, PhD
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere