[gradsusr] file formats: unix versus windows

Liping Liu liping_liuwang at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 04:46:30 EDT 2010

John,

Many thanks! But I don't think my laptop has the dual system, it's only Red Hat Linux.

Liping

From: Huddleston at cira.colostate.edu
To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:16:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] file formats: unix versus windows

Liping

Go on to your windows box, create a user without admin, set an
Id/Passwd for it, share the folder (yourShaeName) with your data, and set
permissions to allow that new user to have read and write on it.

Go to your Linux box and install smbfs. Under Ubuntu it is ‘sudo
apt-get install smbfs’

Edit the /etc/fstab file on your Linux box and add a new line

//yourWindowsServerName/YourShareName  /mountDir
cifs   username=Id,password=passwd 0 0

Make the /mountDir directory

Mount /mountDir

The names are not literal here; please change them to whatever
you want to name them.

John Huddleston, PhD