[gradsusr] Templating 3B42_daily.*nc TRMM files

Matei Georgescu mateig at stanford.edu
Thu May 6 13:43:13 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

My question relates to the use and templating of netcdf daily TRMM precipitation data (3B42), with opengrads 2.0.a7.oga.3. I've noticed a few threads on this subject but haven't been able to locate anything that helps me.

I can successfully open individual files. For example:
ga-> sdfopen 3B42_daily.2005.07.01.6.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  3B42_daily.2005.07.01.6.nc
SDF file 3B42_daily.2005.07.01.6.nc is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -49.875 49.875
LEV set to 0 0
Time values set: 2005:7:1:0 2005:7:1:0
E set to 1 1
ga-> d hrf
Contouring: 0 to 330 interval 30

Everything has the proper appearance.

I can do this for several files ... but I need to open tens of files at once, and need to template.

I created the following control file (control.ctl) based on users' suggestions, to template all my netcdf files (to start, for just 1 month):

DSET ^3B42_daily.2005.07.%d2.6.nc
DTYPE netcdf
OPTIONS template
UNDEF -9999.0
xdef 1440 linear -179.875 0.25
ydef 400  linear -49.875 0.25
ZDEF 1 linear 1 1
TDEF 31 linear 00Z1JUL2005 1dy
VARS 1
hrf  1 z,x,y daily precipitation [mm]
ENDVARS

Upon opening:
ga-> sdfopen control.ctl
Scanning self-describing file:  control.ctl
gaopnc error: nc_open failed to open file control.ctl
read_metadata: gaopnc failed
gadsdf: Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.

Or else:
ga-> open control.ctl
Scanning description file:  control.ctl
Data file 3B42_daily.2005.07.%d2.6.nc is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -50 49.75
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 2005:7:1:0 2005:7:1:0
E set to 1 1
ga-> d hrf
NetCDF Error (gancrow, nc_get_vara_double): NetCDF: Start+count exceeds dimension bound
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'hrf'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = hrf

No doubt I'm doing something silly ... I would appreciate any suggestions.

thank you,
matt

-----
Matei ("Matt") Georgescu
Post-doctoral Fellow
Program on Food Security and the Environment
Stanford University
Y2E2 Bldg - MC4205
473 Via Ortega
Stanford, CA 94305