[gradsusr] time mean zonal mean meridional wind for 12 vertical levels

Teddy Allen teddyallen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 01:43:51 EDT 2010

Dear GrADS users,
I am relatively new to writing GrADS loops and wanted to know if anybody could provide pointers to my simple script below:

* create zonal time average for meridional wind
iz = 1
while (iz<13)
'set z ' iz
'define timeaveV = ave(v, t=1, t=120)'
'define zonalAVGV = ave(timeaveV, lon=0, lon=360)'
iz = iz+1
endwhile

Basically, I have a monthly mean meridional wind file with 10 years of monthly data (12 months x 10 years = 120 time steps) for 12 vertical levels. I would like to calculate the time mean zonal mean value for each of the 12 vertical levels. For some reason when I execute this script I get the same line plot for each level. I was hoping to get 12 unique line plots or curves for zonalAVGV, one for each vertical level.
Does anybody notice the error in the script that prevents this?
If it matters, I am using GrADS version 2.0.a7 on a windows XP system.

Sincerely,
teddy allen

http://www.teddyallen.com
"To move quickly, go alone. To move far, go together."
African Proverb