Correcting Surface Pressure to Sea Level

Kevin M Levey klevey at CUSTOMWEATHER.COM
Thu Mar 11 15:32:36 EST 2010

Hi Mark,

If you are plotting from the GFS grib data, then use the mean sea-level pressure variable instead of geopotential height, i.e.

'define mslp = prmslmsl/100'

prmslmsl is in Pascals, hence divide by 100 to get hPa (or mb).

Regards,

Kevin M Levey, MSc in Oceans and Atmospheric Sciences (University of Cape Town)
Director of Meteorological Operations
CustomWeather, Inc.
San Francisco, California, USA

"Taking the World by Storm!"