[gradsusr] Probelm in accessing GrADS executables from Python 2.5.1

santosh panda santoshh19 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jun 22 14:01:34 EDT 2010

Hi GrADS users,

I am new to GrADS and having some issues in accessing the GrADS executable (gacore, ganum etc.) from python. I am using a Windows XP laptop.

First I installed OpenGrADS program on my laptop.

Used file grads-2.0.a7.oga.3-win32_superpack.exe (obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/.)

Then I installed PyGrADS program.

Used file pygrads-1.1.0.win32_superpack (obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/.)

I tried to repeat the following
 example:

from grads.gacore import GaCore
ga = GaCore(Bin='gradsnc')
fh = ga.open("model.nc")
ga("display ps")

the program executes the first line, but gets stuck in the 2nd line.
I tried to run the program from both dos command prompt as well as from Python
Python's IDLE environment. The program neither execute second line nor gives any error.

I think I am missing something here.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Santosh