[gradsusr] Performance hit with data descriptor files?

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Jul 13 08:11:54 EDT 2010

Pete,
The short answer is that you should upgrade to 2.0.a8. A whole lot of
critical changes were implemented in the newer versions (of GrADS and
the netCDF library) to improve performance when handling compressed
netcdf files. Please read the doc page on compression (http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/compression.html
) for a full explanation of the factors at play. When the cache
settings are appropriate (which they are almost certainly not in your
build), you will find that the I/O for compressed netcdf can be a
whole lot faster than classic netcdf and flat binary data sets.
--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org