[gradsusr] moved server: lost shapes

Chris Hayes C.Hayes at meteovista.nl
Thu Jul 8 05:21:03 EDT 2010

*         >> I use a php class that after each request/command waited for the response by grads, and this class knew the response
*         >> always ended with </IPC>.
>> But now it waits for that tag till the cows come home. And beyond. Indefinitely and forever.
>> What changed ? How to fix it?

> I think this feature is enabled with the -u option on startup, and it is in COLA's version of GrADS as a hook for opengrads features.
> --Jennifer

Funnily, looking at the source the version came from it might be Grads our host installed for us, I can hardly see the difference, can you see a difference in config?

On the old server:
Config: v2.0.a5.oga.5 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds opendap-grids,stn athena geotiff
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a5.oga.5
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Thu May 7 11:02:53 EDT 2009 for i686-pc-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:
o Built on a LITTLE ENDIAN machine
o Command line editing ENABLED
http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html
o printim command for image output ENABLED
http://www.zlib.net
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page
o GRIB2 interface ENABLED
http://www.ijg.org
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2
g2clib-1.0.5
o NetCDF interface ENABLED
http://www.opendap.org
libnc-dap 4.0.1-beta3-snapshot2009021712 of Feb 21 2009 14:55:15 $
o NCSA HDF interface ENABLED
http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu
HDF4.2r3
o Athena Widget GUI ENABLED
o OPeNDAP gridded data interface ENABLED
http://www.opendap.org
libdap 3.7.10
o OPeNDAP station data interface ENABLED
http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html
libgadap 2.0.oga.1
o GeoTIFF and KML output ENABLED
http://www.libtiff.org
http://geotiff.osgeo.org

For additional information please consult http://iges.org/grads

On the new serverE:

Config: v2.0.a8 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5 opendap-grids,stn geotiff shapefile
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a8
Copyright (c) 1988-2010 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Fri Mar 26 10:24:10 EDT 2010 for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:
o Built on a LITTLE ENDIAN machine
o Athena Widget GUI DISABLED
o Command line editing ENABLED
http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html
o printim command for image output ENABLED
http://www.zlib.net
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page
o GRIB2 interface ENABLED
http://www.ijg.org
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2
g2clib-1.1.8
o NetCDF interface ENABLED
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf
netcdf 4.1.1-rc2 of Mar 23 2010 09:31:58 $
o OPeNDAP gridded data interface ENABLED
o OPeNDAP station data interface ENABLED
http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html
libgadap 2.0
o HDF4 and HDF5 interfaces ENABLED
http://hdfgroup.org
HDF 4.2r3
HDF5 1.8.4
o GeoTIFF and KML output ENABLED
http://www.libtiff.org
http://geotiff.osgeo.org
o Shapefile interface ENABLED
http://shapelib.maptools.org

For additional information please consult http://iges.org/grads

I used gradsnc -u, just like the perl interface does, but now with version 2.0.a8 there is only the grads executable.

I found http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/libipc/libipc.html  which specifies ipc_verb but that command is not recognized.