equivalent potential temperature

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 27 12:56:36 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Gisele Zepka <gzepka at dge.inpe.br> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am interested to analyse the atmospheric instability when a storm occurrs
> using equivalent potential temperature from mesoscale model. What
> atmospheric level do I need to check to get an idea of instability? I don't
> have a theta_e output, so I will calculate it from temperature and humidity
> data from model.
>
> Please, any help will be nice.

The OpenGrADS bundle includes the *Saakeskus - Collection of Thunderstorm
Related Functions, *in particular:
*

display dewpt(T,RH) - Dew-point Temperature

display ept(T,RH,P) - Equivalent potential temperature

display epi(T850,RH850,T500,RH500) - Potential Instability

display plcl(T2M,RH2M,PS) - Pressure at LCL

display shear(U1,V1,U2,V2) - Wind Shear

display srh1km(uVAR,vVAR) - Storm-relative Helicity 0-1km

display srh3km(uVAR,vVAR) - Storm-relative Helicity 0-3km

display tlcl(T2M,RH2M) - Temperature at LCL

display tsindex(CAPE180_0mb,CIN180_0mb) - Likelihood of T-storm Initiation

display ttindex(T500,T850,RH850) - Total Totals Index

display wchill(T2M,U10M,V10M) - Wind Chill Index (New)
*
More information here:

      http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/saakeskus/

You can download the OpenGrADS bundle from here:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_the_OpenGrADS_Bundle

 Good Luck,

           Arlindo

--