how to average grib files

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 26 09:27:41 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Henrique Barbosa <hmjbarbosa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have hundreds of thousands of daily model data in grib format
> and I would like to create monthly averages of that. I know I could
> do that with a grads script, but it would take too much time.
>
> If I had netCDF files, there are tools like NCO that allows one to
> add, subtract, merge, average, etc.. a bunch of .nc files
> as long as they share the same variables.
>
> Is there something like that for grib files?

Lats4d can average GRIB and any other grads readable format. See here:

    http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Lats4D

There are some recipes illustrating the use of lats4d, for example

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-017:_Subsetting_and_reformating_MERRA_data_with_Lats4d

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-018:_Regridding_of_MERRA_data_for_comparison_with_other_reanalyses

Lats4d is included with the OpenGrADS bundle, see http://opengrads.org

  Arlindo