User extensions on OSX 10.6

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 24 22:03:17 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Ramon Solano <rsolanob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been using my own specialized GrADS user extensions since v2.0.a4
> with no problem at all.

Glad to hear. Let us know if you have anything that you would like to share
with the community and we will consider it for inclusion with the opengrads
extensions.

> I used the example udx "hello" and some techniques showed in the other user
> extensions (thanks for providing the code).
>
> I use the GrADS source code and the additional supplibs to configure the
>  compilation, and then I jump into the extensions dir and then use the
> "make". I later copy my UDX to the official compiled GrADS distribution in
> my computers.This procedure have worked for my Mac OSX 10.5 (with fink) and
> Linux (RedHat 32 and 64 bits) with absolutely no problems.

The most recent opengrads build for Mac OS X was done on Leopard (10.5) and
is a 32-bit build. Mixing these binaries with any 64-bit dylibs built on
10.6 are likely not to work.

However, I just updated my Mac OSX to 10.6 and as there is no official
> gfortran released yet, I installed the one available on
> http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-macosx-x86.dmg, which
> identifies itself as "gcc version 4.5.0 20090604 (experimental) [trunk
> revision 148180] (GCC) ". According to fink, I have gcc4.0 and gcc4.2 so
> this may be an issue.

I personally have not used fink in a long time. Mac ports have worked more
reliably for me.

> My problem is that after apparently a good compilation of the UDX, GrADS
> complains that "dlsym(0xe0d650, f_rsb): symbol not found" (f_rsb is my UDX).
> I am doing exactly the same procedure as in 10.5, but here I am getting this
> problem under 10.6 . GrADS is working perfectly, and all provided UDXs as
> well so I know this should be possible.
>
> Any advice on a workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I am yet to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I've heard that the 10.5 build
work fine on 10.5. A work around until I can sort this issue out is to build
on 10.5. I suspect the problem is related to 32/64 bit incompatibilities.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu