User extensions on OSX 10.6

Ramon Solano rsolanob at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 22 14:09:32 EST 2010

Hello all,

I have been using my own specialized GrADS user extensions since v2.0.a4 with no problem at all. I used the example udx "hello" and some techniques showed in the other user extensions (thanks for providing the code).

I use the GrADS source code and the additional supplibs to configure the  compilation, and then I jump into the extensions dir and then use the "make". I later copy my UDX to the official compiled GrADS distribution in my computers.This procedure have worked for my Mac OSX 10.5 (with fink) and Linux (RedHat 32 and 64 bits) with absolutely no problems.

However, I just updated my Mac OSX to 10.6 and as there is no official gfortran released yet, I installed the one available on http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-macosx-x86.dmg, which identifies itself as "gcc version 4.5.0 20090604 (experimental) [trunk revision 148180] (GCC) ". According to fink, I have gcc4.0 and gcc4.2 so this may be an issue.

My problem is that after apparently a good compilation of the UDX, GrADS complains that "dlsym(0xe0d650, f_rsb): symbol not found" (f_rsb is my UDX). I am doing exactly the same procedure as in 10.5, but here I am getting this problem under 10.6 . GrADS is working perfectly, and all provided UDXs as well so I know this should be possible.

Any advice on a workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Ramon
U of Arizona