advection scheme

Jason Snyder jmssnyder at UCDAVIS.EDU
Sun Jan 10 16:14:04 EST 2010

I am trying to do an advection scheme for olr values and am not sure how to
go about doing it.  I have made a nc file or average wind patterns for
certain climatic patterns in the Pacific Ocean called uninan.nc.  this file
contains zonal winds uninan.

here is the script for modeling OLR advection  the start dates on both files
match.

'sdfopen uninan.nc'
'sdfopen olr.day.mean.nc'
'set gxout shaded'
'set t 1'
'define temp=olr.2'
count=1
while (count < 10)
    'set clevs 140 160 180'
    'set ccols 14 4 11'
    'dtx = cdiff(temp,x)'
    'dty = cdiff(temp,y)'
    'dx=cdiff(temp,x)*3.14/180'
    'dy=cdiff(lat,y)'
    'define temp=temp-((uninan*dtx/(cos(lat*3.14/180)*dx)))/2000'
    'd temp'
count=count + 1
endwhile
based on the zonal wind values olr anomalies should advect across the
Pacific Ocean in 4 days count=4 but they are not doing so or OLR values are
off by quite a bit.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason