Open, average and convert binary to ascii

Thiago Veloso thi_veloso at YAHOO.COM.BR
Sat Jan 9 11:38:39 EST 2010

  Hi there! Could anyone just help me with this task?
  The fact: I have 7 years of precipitation data which is organized as hourly binary files. For example, file "2003010101" would be the information from 00 to 01h of 1st January 2003 and so on. Attached is a example of a descriptor file to read the dataset. There are some gaps in this dataset, which are not frequent. But missing files do exist.
 Note: in order to get values in mm/hr, it is necessary to multiply the varabile by 0.2. This will result in mm/hr precipitation values.
  What I need: to create daily accumulated values and write them to a ascii file which have to contain the coordinate values, the precipitation itself and the also the day (q time should solve?).
 Note: is it necessary to deal with the gap files so the daily totals are not erratic?
  Any helpful thought to write this script?
  Thanks in advance!