TIFF images in GrADS

Andrew Hazelden andrewhazelden at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 6 17:35:46 EST 2010

Hi Arlindo,

This is the technique I have worked out for high quality KML ouput. I
export a dummy kml file + small tiff using gxout kml just for the
Google Earth GroundOverlay <LatLonBox> coordinates. Then I use printim
command to export a larger image in a format like TIFF or PNG.

Then I replace the reference in the KML file from the low resolution
tiff to the new image on the line:
  <href>base_kml.tif</href>

Also in my experience Google Earth doesn't respect the transparency in
GrADS TIFF or GIF exports but does in PNG exports.

You can change the image format of the high resolution output to
either PNG, TIFF, etc.. by changing the file extension in the command:
printim full_rez.png x2048 y1024 -t 0

Attached are two Grads Scripts. The script kml_plot_with_countries.gs
will plot political boundary outlines in the exported image. The
script kml_plot_no_outlines.gs disables political boundary outlines
with the grads command set mpdraw off.

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden
Weather Enthusiast