WIN GRADS 2.0.a7.oga.3 - Possible Bug

Mark Sponsler msponsler at COMCAST.NET
Wed Feb 3 14:40:46 EST 2010

Hi Arlindo,

I tried again to get the 'ls' command to work in Grads 2 without sucess.

I've beleive your statement earlier about there being some conflict beteween multiple versions of Cygwin to be correct.  I just can't seem to figure out where the conflict is occurring.

I have 3 version of Grads installed (1.8, 1.9 and 2.0) on the workstation.  I deleted all reference to Grads from the Path environment variable (and most any other applic ation other than the basic windows directories), and also renamed Autoexec.bat (it had a reference to the old regrid function). Then did a cold reboot. Plugged in the flash drive with grads 2 on it and started Grads from there, but got not response from  ! ls <cr>.

I then renamed the actual top directories of those 3 versions of grads so even if there was some buried reference, the code would not be found. Restarted .  Still no luck with the ! ls command.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arlindo da Silva" <dasilva at alum.mit.edu>
To: "Mark Sponsler" <msponsler at comcast.net>
Cc: "gradsusr" <GRADSUSR at list.cineca.it>
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:59:01 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: WIN GRADS 2.0.a7.oga.3 - Possible Bug

Mark,

  Because I am always trying to get a relocatable solution I never make use of the Windows registry. The only system change I make (with the user's permission) is to add something to the path.

  Now, when you start a version of grads cygwin sets aside a chunk of shared memory for the POSIX emulation. Since v1.9 and v2.0 uses different versions o cygwin, running both versions without an intervening reboot could cause problems as these shared memory chunks could be inconsistent. So, in the machine where you are having problems, do a reboot and then try running v2.0 without having run v1.9. Any luck?

  Arlindo