using two files with different time ranges

Sestak, Michael L CIV 63134 michael.l.sestak at NAVY.MIL
Mon Feb 1 10:47:43 EST 2010

If only need to display variables from both data sets, rather than do calculations with both, use set dfile 1 and set dfile 2 before you plot each variable, as appropriate.  Grads uses the current default file to set the time range and increment.

Michael Sestak
Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center
Monterey, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT [mailto:GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT] On Behalf Of Joseph Pietrowicz
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 7:00
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Subject: using two files with different time ranges

I'm using opengrads V 2.0.a7.oga.3 and opening two files, gfs and cmorph 3hr precipitation estimates. I can open and use them one at a time just fine.
But when I open them in as file 1 and file 2, I can't display variables from  both data sets. I think it has to do with the time coordinate.

The GFS ctl data set has time as

tdef 9 linear 00Z27jan2010 3hr

While the cmorph time in the ctl file is given as

TDEF 99000 LINEAR  0z01dec2002 3hr

and the cmoph *ctl file uses the template option.

If I open both files, say the GFS first, I can display any of the GFS variables for any of the GFS time steps just fine. However, I can't display any of the cmorph data. I believe that it has something to do with setting time.

For example in the GFS
set t 1
d tmp2m

will give me the results properly.
In the cmorph file time step 20920 is the same time as time step 1 in the GFS data set. Then I enter the command to display cmorph data.

d cpc.2

and I get a message that 'all undefined values'
And the time information for cmorph is correct, 'T= 20920 20920'

Also the GFS data set id grib2, while the cmorph is binary.

What do I need to do in order to work witht both data sets?

Thanks,

Joe Pietrowicz