[gradsusr] Geotiffs in Grads

Yaqiang Wang yaqiang.wang at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 02:42:13 EST 2010

In fact, your data is tif not geotif. The tfw file is world file for
geolocation of the image, but it's not the projection parameters.

Your 'tfw' file obviously is not correct with too big x and y scales.
I ajust the x and y scales to 0.017 and the geolocated figure is
attached. It's still not correct, because I don't know the exactly the
geo-location of the image. If you know, you can adjust it to the right
location.

The description of world file is following:
World File
Images are stored as raster data, where each cell in the image has a
row and column number. In order to display images in real-world
coordinates, it is necessary to establish an image-to-world
transformation that converts the image coordinates to real-world
coordinates. This transformation information is typically stored with
the image.
This information was stored in a separate ASCII file. This file is
generally referred to as the world file, since it contains the
real-world transformation information used by the image. World files
can be created with any editor. They can also be created using
MeteoInfo.
It’s easy to identify the world file which should accompany an image
file. The first and third characters of the image file’s suffix and a
final "w" are used for the world file suffix. Therefore, for
‘mytown.tif’, the world file would be ‘mytown.tfw’. For
‘redlands.gif’, its world file would be ‘redlands.gfw’.
The contents of the world file will look something like this:

                  20.17541308822119		-A
                   0.00000000000000		-D
                   0.00000000000000		-B
                 -20.17541308822119		-E
              424178.11472601280548		-C
             4313415.90726399607956		-F

When this file is present, it performs the image-to-world transformation.
A = x-scale; dimension of a pixel in map units in x direction
B, D = rotation terms
C, F = translation terms; x,y map coordinates of the center of the
upper-left pixel
E = negative of y-scale; dimension of a pixel in map units in y direction

Note: The y-scale (E) is negative because the origins of an image and
a geographic coordinate system are different. The origin of an image
is located in the upper-left corner, whereas the origin of the map
coordinate system is located in the lower-left corner. Row values in
the image increase from the origin downward, while y-coordinate values
in the map increase from the origin upward.