[gradsusr] Displaying data from NetCDF; outputting text files; using comparitive statistics

James Ciarlo` james.ciarlo at physics.org
Fri Dec 10 11:00:17 EST 2010

Dear all,

I am using GrADS 2.0.a9 on LINUX. I am trying to compare measured and
modelled data by using GrADS. However since I am new with the program, there
are some issues that I cannot seem to figure out, or find a solution to
understand.
I am experiencing:

1) Difficulty with displaying data from NetCDF files
I have opened the file with the command 'sdfopen'
When I tried 'd prmsl' I got the following error:
Operation error:  Invalid dimension environment
  Min longitude > max longitude: 320 144
So I used ' set lon -40 145' and tried the display command again
I got the following line and the image attached (ncimage.jpg):
Contouring: 99000 to 102300 interval 300
And I am getting similar results with other nc files

2) Difficulty with finding a command to output text files, or dat, or
anything similar.
I have used set lat, set lon, and set lev to obtain one value, and set t to
get a long time interval, I have used d psa to display the time series, I
can use printim file.jpg to get an image, but I cannot find a command to
produce a file.txt so that I can make use of the actual numbers for
statistical purposes.

3) Difficulty with finding a command to work out comparative statistics,
particularly correlation and significance.

Regards,

James Ciarlo`