[gradsusr] Problem with fwrite and CTL file

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Tue Aug 31 12:03:19 EDT 2010

Mubashar,
Adding to Doug's comments, I noticed you initialized t at 5.  Does
that correspond to your initial January timestep?
Stephen Mc

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Mubashar Dogar
<mubashardogar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear GrADS Users,
>
> I have downloaded ECMWF (ERA40) data for surface temperature at 2.5 by 2.5
> resolution for years 1958-2001. My intention was to see the trend for the
> month of January only. So I extracted all the Januaries between 1958-2001 in
> a binary/dat file by using the following commands in GrADS. When I tried to
> open this file by making a CTL (choosing the same x & y dimentions) and
> display January of any one year, the spatial picture is not the same as if I
> display the same January in original data file. Could you please help me?
>
> Here is the script to create a binary/dat file
> 'reinit'
> 'open EraT2M.ctl'
> 'set gxout fwrite'
> 'set fwrite January.dat'
> t=5
> *tmax=6
> tmax=532
> while(t<=tmax)
> 'set t 't
> 'd no2tsfc-273.15'
> t=t+12
> endwhile
> 'disable fwrite'
> 'reinit'
>
> Here is the control file to open the above January.dat file
> DSET    january.dat
> TITLE     Sample Data Set
> UNDEF    -9.999E33
> *OPTIONS    big_endian
> OPTIONS   little_endian
> *OPTIONS   template
> xdef 144 linear 0 2.5
> ydef 73 linear -90 2.5
> ZDEF      1 LINEAR 1 1
> TDEF     44 LINEAR 1JAN1958 1mon
> VARS      1
> no2tsfc 0  99  Surface Temperature_2m
> ENDVARS
>

> Regards,
>
> Mubashar

The information contained in this e-mail message
is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.