[gradsusr] strange behavior with GrADS 2.0.a8

Don.VanDyke at noaa.gov Don.VanDyke at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 31 01:04:10 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am noticing some strange behavior with GrADS 2.0.a8 when I try to write a netCDF file from the following grib2 files at this link.  http://casil.met.fsu.edu/~dvandyke/GrADS-problem/  I created those grib2 files with the nam1hr.sh script at that link following the example shown at http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/fast_downloading_grib.html .  Basically, they were created from standard NCEP 12 km NAM grib2 files, but they only have certain variables contained within them in order to save bandwidth.  My goal is to write those variables to netCDF files, but my writenc.gs example script at http://casil.met.fsu.edu/~dvandyke/GrADS-problem/writenc.gs does not work with grads2a8.  It produces an error message shown at http://casil.met.fsu.edu/~dvandyke/GrADS-problem/notes.txt .

The interesting thing is that everything works perfectly using the previous version of GrADS (2.0.a7.1).  However, I would like to use the -flt option with the sdfwrite command, and that's only available for 2.0.a8 and higher.  Can anybody explain what I'm doing wrong or if this is a bug introduced with grads2a8?  Thanks!

Don Van Dyke
NWS Tallahassee, FL