[gradsusr] sdfopen limitations in opengrads

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 6 21:54:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:43 PM, James T. Potemra <jimp at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Hi Arlindo:
>
> In May of 2009 I posted a message about getting errors while attempting
> to read netcdf files served via OPeNDAP in opengrads.  At the time, the
> suspected problem was a title that exceeded 256 characters.  I would
> like to refresh this issue now, since I seem to encounter it more often
> (and it's not always because of the title).
>
> For example, the NOAA NDBC is serving data on their OPeNDAP server
> (e.g., http://sdf.ndbc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/hfradar_ushi_1km).  I can
> access these data using many versions of grads, e.g., gradsdods
> (1.9.0-rc1), gradsdap (2.0.a5, 2.0.a6) and grads (2.0.a8).  However,
> both grads-2.0.a5.oga.5 and grads-2.0.a7.oga.2 give the following error
> (and exit thereafter).  Just hoping that between the netcdf
> implementation in grads and opengrads this can be fixed in a future
> release.  Thanks,

 Have you tried the latest OpenGrADS 2.0.a8.oga.1? We have updated NetCDF to
the latest v4.1, which now bundles its own opendap implementation. I just
tried the URL above and it works fine on Mac OS X (the machine where I am
logged on right now). The problem you are referring to was a bug in an early
version of NetCDF-4 which relied on an external opendap implementation. The
issue appeared to have been resolved.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva