[gradsusr] Memory considerations

Huddleston, John Huddleston at cira.colostate.edu
Wed Apr 7 18:32:45 EDT 2010

Hello,

Most users open up GrADS and do their work and exit wihtout a serious hit to memory losses.

However, my situation is unique in that I am running GrADS to create thousands of satellite images; so, memory losses are steep.

The losses are compounded within functions and eliminating those losses with the free memory functioncauses GrADS to lose its mind.

There are three calls in GrADS: galloc, malloc, and calloc. The GrADS galloc call is the return call similar to malloc and calloc.

The function galloc can be reinvented as a void call with all arguments passed to it. New memory would be realloc.

I would devote my time to reengineer GrADS with the designers if they are willing.

John