create a ctl for a subset of NARR data

Eric Altshuler ela at COLA.IGES.ORG
Thu Sep 24 22:46:30 EDT 2009

Hi Emily,

Your file is a GRIB1 file, but you are trying to use GRIB2 tools (g2ctl and wgrib2). You need grib2ctl.pl (download it from http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/grib2ctl.html) and wgrib (the wgrib executable is included in GrADS binary distributions, see http://grads.iges.org/grads/downloads.html, or you can build it from source which is at http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib.html).

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org
Phone: (301) 902-1257
Fax: (301) 595-9793

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emily" <yi_zhou01 at YAHOO.CA>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:25:53 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: create a ctl for a subset of NARR data

Hi group member,

Could you please help me to solve the problem?
> My grads version: Grads2.0a3 under Window XP 2002
>
>I download a subset data of NARR A (every 3 hours time step per day) from:
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ncdc-ui/define-collection.pl?model_sys=narr&model_name=narr-a&grid_name=221
In order to simplification, I just download one variable (hgtpre), and one level (500hpa), when I use g2ctl.pl to create .ctl file, it shows that:
either ls.grb is missing or not a grib file or wgrib2 is not on your path or wgrib2 is too old.

Please tell me how to deal with this problem, thanks a lot.

BTW, I attached my grib data as well, please try it for me.

Best regards,

Emily,

York University, Toronto, Canada