Template files

Isabella Bovolo Isabella.Bovolo at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Sep 24 08:14:47 EDT 2009

Dear Grads users,

I am trying to use a template file so that I can do monthly averages of
daily data held in individual files but I cannot seem to plot any of the
individual files (and therefore cannot do averaging) as they do not open
correctly. The filenames I have are of the type: gpfs1958010100cp_24h.grb.
Grads appears to be trying to open the template filename and I get the
error below. Do you have any suggestions please? Am I using the wrong
commands? (Apologies if this is a simple question).

ga-> set t 1
Time values set: 1958:1:1:0 1958:1:1:0
ga-> d cp
Low Level I/O Error:  Read error on data file
   Data file name = gpfs%y4%m2%d200cp_24h.ctl
   Error reading 360 bytes at location 0
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'cp'
   Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
   Expression = cp

My template file is the following:

DSET ^gpfs%y4%m2%d2%h2cp_24h.grbA
OPTIONS template
undef 9.999E+20
xdef 360 linear 0.000000 1.000000
ydef 181 linear -90.000000 1
zdef 1 linear 1 1
TDEF 5 LINEAR 00Z1Jan1958 1dy
vars 1
cp  0 143,1,0 Convective precipitation (accum.) (m)
ENDVARS

Many thanks,

Isabella

-------
Dr. C. Isabella Bovolo

Email:  Isabella.Bovolo at ncl.ac.uk
Tel:    +44 191 222 8599
Fax:    +44 191 222 6669
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences,
Newcastle University, NE1 7RU, England, UK