Using GrADS to open HDF-EOS

Christopher Lynnes Chris.Lynnes at NASA.GOV
Wed Sep 23 13:51:34 EDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Mike Bosilovich wrote:

> It's not clear which data you are looking at, level 2 or level 3.  The
> descriptor file below I used to analyze the level 3 global 5km MODIS
> LST product.  I don't think level 2 is possible.
>
> When i've wanted to analyze the level 2 granules in grads, I had to
> first convert to a regular grid. I think HDFView will do that, but not
> in a batch way.
>
> I hope that someone has a better answer than mine!

I don't have any better news, but a little more detail.  The Cloudsat
and CALIPSO are both Level 1B or 2, meaning satellite swath / vertical
profile (not grid), and so are not well suited to GrADS, where the
"Gr" stands for "Grid" 8-).   There may be a way to define an X-Y grid
with X being along-track distance and Y the vertical height / pressure
level, but I admit that is beyond my ken.

Converting to NetCDF/CF-1, unfortunately, does not solve this. (Though
if you could properly convert to NetCDF/CF-1, the IDV tool could be
used instead; however the reformatting of the geolocation aspect is a
tricky thing.)

If you want to *visualize* Cloudsat or CALIPSO swath/profile data, you
can do that online at our A-Train Data Depot:
http://gdata1.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/G3/gui.cgi?instance_id=atrain

Analysis and manipulation, alas, requires more work on your part...

--
Christopher Lynnes             NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2
301-614-5185