Standard deviation of particular location and of area

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Tue Sep 15 14:28:44 EDT 2009

Raj,

here's some documentation from a script used to calculate standard
deviation:

*  From statistics (reference: "Statistical Concepts and Methods"
*  by Bhattacharyya and Johnson (1977)), the sample variance s**2
*  for a set of "N" observations of a variable "xi" (x1,...,xN)
*  is defined as:
*
*    s**2 = [(x1-xbar)**2 + (x2-xbar)**2 + (x3-xbar)**2 +....
*          + (xN-xbar)**2 ]/(N-1) ,  (from page 34)
*
*  where the sample mean = xbar = (x1+x2+x3+...+xN)/N , (from page 27)
*
*  Note, the sample variance sums over "N" observations, and divides the
*  sum by "N-1"...
*
*  The sample standard deviation is defined as the square root of the
*  sample variance (from page 35):
*
*    s = sqrt(s**2)

perhaps you could try (please check for mistakes)
...same as in your email, then
sg = 0
tt = it
while(tt<='et')
'set t 'tt
...define whu at t = "tt"
sg = sg + pow((avg-whu),2)
endwhile
dt = et-it+1
sv = sg/(dt-1)   * sample variance
'd sqrt(sv)'
std = subwrd(result,4)
say 'STD DEV = ',std

Hope this helps,
Chuck

--

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/