MERRA > WRF

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 13 08:34:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Santanello, Joseph A. (GSFC-6143) <
joseph.a.santanello at nasa.gov> wrote:

>  Hi Arlindo,
>

> I am working with a group at NASA-GSFC and we are considering using the new
> MERRA data as input (initial/boundary conditions) to the WRF-ARW model.
> WRF-help said that if MERRA was in HDF-4 format then we need to convert it
> first to GRIB (intermediate format for metgrid/WPS).  I came across your
> page relating to MERRA conversion:
>

> http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-017:_Subsetting_and_reformating_MERRA_data_with_Lats4d#Simple_reformatting_to_GRIB-1
>

> I was wondering if you had any experience with WRF/WPS or any suggestions
> on how to proceed in getting MERRA converted for this purpose?  To date I
> have only used NARR, GFS, and ECMWF data to drive WRF which are more
> common.  Thanks!

As mentioned in that Recipe you can use LATS4d to convert the MERRA files to
GRIB-1. However, you may need to construct a LATS parameter table to make
sure the GRIB-1 dataset follows the NCEP conventions; see the lats4d
documentation refered to i the Recipe. (By default LATS4d creates a generic
GRIB-1 file which does not conform to NCEP or ECMWF conventions.) I have no
experience with WRF whatsoever. However, if you find a solution consider
writing a Recipe for it, I am sure other people would appreciate it.

(Please send questions like this to the gradsusr list instead of my personal
e-mail address, I cannot afford the time to answer individual questions. For
MERRA related questions, follow the link on the MERRA website:
http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/research/merra/intro.php)

    Arlndo

> Joe

> Dr. Joseph A. Santanello, Jr.
>
> Physical Scientist
>
> Hydrospheric and Biospheric Sciences Laboratory
>
> NASA-GSFC Code 614.3,     Bldg 22, Room 008
>
> Greenbelt, Maryland 20771
>
> Phone: 301/286-7450       Fax: 301/286-8624
>
> Email: Joseph.A.Santanello at nasa.gov

Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu