how to make maximum wind plot along with level showing maximum wind for each grid

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at NOAA.GOV
Mon Nov 30 14:42:22 EST 2009

Hi Phillip,

I think you could use fndlvl... please see
http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradfuncfndlvl.html

from above web site:
"Given two gridded variables, |/expr/| and |/expr_to_find/|, this
function finds the first vertical level at which the |/expr_to_find/|
value occurs in |/expr/|. |/lev1/| and |/lev2/| specify the range of
levels over which to search. The result is a grid of pressure values."

The "Usage Notes" state that "The dimensions of |/expr/| and
|/expr_to_find/|   must match.".

I'm not clear on what this means... Does anyone else know?

there are some nice examples too...

try this:
set x 1
set y 1 ny   * ny = number of y-levels
set z 1
set t 1
set gxout line
d fndlvl(mag(u,v),max(mag(u,v),z=1,z=nz),z=1,z=nz)   * nz = number of
z-levels

Hope this helps,
Chuck