Bigger title in xy plots.

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Mon Nov 30 13:30:40 EST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Muthuvel Chelliah wrote:

> Hello grads experts,
>
> Any help in the following help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> When I plot multiple x-y plots in a page, the standard title
> becomes too small to see. I want to plot something that
> is in bigger font size, and I do not see any options for changing
> the characteristics of title (draw title ... ), such as its
> size, color, etc. I also do not want to use 'draw string' method,
> since in that case I need to know the location, etc, which is
> cumbersome for the many plots.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
>
> Muthu/CPC

Below is a script I use instead of 'draw title' -- it automates many
of the 'cumbersome' tasks. It may meet your needs.
--Jennifer

* title.gs
*
* This is an alternative to the 'draw title' command in GrADS.
* Font characteristics are controlled by five script variables:
* height, width, color, thickness, and font number.
* The sole argument is a string of any length which may
* contain backslashes ("\") to indicate carriage returns.
* Written by Jennifer M. Adams, January 2007
*
function title (arg)
* Set the text characteristics

*height=0.25
*width=0.22
height=0.20
width=0.18
*height=0.12
*width=0.10

color=1
thickness=1
fnum=0

* Check for backslashes
nbreaks=0
len=math_strlen(arg)
i=1
while (i<=len)
  char=substr(arg,i,1)
  if (char = '\')
   nbreaks=nbreaks+1
   break.nbreaks = i
  endif
  i=i+1
endwhile

* Figure out where the title will go
'q gxinfo'
xlims=sublin(result,3)
ylims=sublin(result,4)
ytop=subwrd(ylims,6)
xleft=subwrd(xlims,4)
xright=subwrd(xlims,6)
xmid=xleft+(xright-xleft)/2

* Set up the string characteristics
'set string 'color' bc 'thickness
'set strsiz 'width' 'height

* Draw the title
if (nbreaks)
  arg.1 = substr(arg,1,break.1-1)
  if (nbreaks=1)
   arg.2 = substr(arg,break.1+1,len-break.1);* two lines
   nargs=2
  else
   i=2
   while (i<=nbreaks)
    s=i-1
    start = break.s
    start = start+1
    e=i
    end = break.e
    length = end-start
    arg.i = substr(arg,start,length)
    i=i+1
   endwhile
   start = break.nbreaks
   start = start+1
   length = len-start+1
   nargs=nbreaks+1
   arg.nargs = substr(arg,start,length)
  endif
  i=1
  while (i<=nargs)
  'draw string 'xmid' 'ytop+(height)+((nargs-i)*(1.5*height))'
`'fnum''arg.i
   i=i+1
  endwhile
else
  'draw string 'xmid' 'ytop+height' `'fnum''arg
endif