NETCDF descriptor file problem: gadsdf: SDF file does not have any non-coordinate variables.

Kevin M Levey klevey at CUSTOMWEATHER.COM
Wed Nov 18 16:09:31 EST 2009

Hey Arlindo

Here is a weird thing - I figured out the problem.

According to the documentation:

SDF_varname=>grads_varname
SDF_varname is the name the data variable was given when the SDF file was originally created. For NetCDF files, this name appears in the output from ncdump. It is important that SDF_varname exactly matches the variable name in the data file. SDF_varname may contain uppercase letters and non-alpha-numeric characters.

I had my names mixed, i.e. instead of

elevation=>alt 1 99 Altitude in meters

I had

alt=>elevation 1 99 Altitude in meters

hence the message "gadsdf: SDF file does not have any non-coordinate variables." I just wish there was a list of GRADS error messages and what they mean in the documentation. It would really help.

But the kicker is that for WRF outputted files it works the other way around.

Anyway, problem solved.

Thanks!

Cheers
Kevin