OpenDAP GRIB Retrieval from Nomads

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 12 11:25:06 EST 2009

Hi Mark,

Your question reminded me of some new regridding functionality that
Arlindo told me about that I've been meaning to test drive. Looks like
you want grib files, but this can also do netcdf (and there maybe some
compressed netcdf too).

I run the following command line on my linux workstation with the
latest OpenGrads build installed

lats4d.sh -i http://nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/reanalyses/reanalysis-2/6hr/flx/flx
-o testout2 -format grads_grib -time 00Z01OCT2009 00Z02OCT2009 -vars
cpratsfc pratesfc -merra0.5

This produces a grib file on my workstation for the convective and
total precip from R2  (I'll assume GFS's GDS will behave similarly).
for 5 6-hourly intervals for the time specified. the -merra0.5 flag
regrids the output to the MERRA reanalysis 1/2 degree native grid.
(this was just a test, I wouldn't regularly upscale coarser resolution
data that way)

This could be build into a csh script for looping. more variables can
be added, -lat and -lon can subset the domain, and -func could make
means or apply other grads functions. It slices, it dices.....

I hope this helps

Mike