Another free shapefile for world maps

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 12 10:36:20 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Huddleston, John <
Huddleston at cira.colostate.edu> wrote:

>  Arlindo,
>

> Please excuse this direct email to you, the GrADS email list does not allow
> me to reply or send anything to the list.
>

> I downloaded the world.tar.bz2 file and it does not contain a PRJ file.
> While the three DBF, SHP, and SHX files conform exactly to the ESRI 1994
> shapefile standard; the accuracy and precision of our software has increased
> significantly since the standard was propagated.
>

> As such, it is important to know the projection of the world maps.

You may need to contact the data producers directly about this, it should be
a simple matter to add a standard .prj file. However, on the website it
says:

The data is based upon a free map published by TerraSpace,
Russia<http://www.terraspace.ru/> as
referenced by Geocommunity<http://data.geocomm.com/editorspicks/data_world11.html>.
I added Antarctica after Curt Mills pointed out that there was a missing
continent. Antartica's data came from the Digital Chart of the World and was
reprojected into NAD27 to agree with the rest of the world.

I am not sure what NAD27 is, but I was assuming it was a standard
projection. Let me know if you find anything.

         Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu