Newbie Questions

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 7 08:26:53 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Andrew Revering <andy at f5data.com> wrote:

>  Attached is my code and the output images…
>

> 1) The fonts for contours are pretty rough. Is it possible to use custom
> anti-aliased fonts for a much more crisp/smooth look? Or perhaps replace the
> labels on contours with images pre-defined displaying the proper value IE...
> if its a 30 degree line, put 30.png image in place where the text would have
> been.

The gxyat extension included in the OpenGrADS bundle is a replacement for
printim that produces anti-aliased fonts. Here is an example image:

      http://portal.nccs.nasa.gov/cgi-d520_fp/geos5_wx.cgi

(With printim the small blue title at the top of the image would not have
been very legible.)

Usage is pretty simple:

ga-> gxyat myimage.png

Gxyat works also as a metafile translator, so you can use it with COLA
releases, say

ga-> enable print myfle.gmf
ga-> d something
ga-> print
ga-> disable print
ga-> ! gxyat -i myfile.gmf

(You can put these lines on a gxyat.gs script.) This will create
"myfile.png". You can find more about gxyat options here:

    http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gxyat

 More information on the OpenGrADS bundle here:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_the_OpenGrADS_Bundle

           Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva