I: R: Manage lat-lon thinned grid

Diego Morelli diego.morelli at TRS.IT
Wed Nov 4 08:34:23 EST 2009

If I repeat the procedure explained in my last mail, I found that I have the
same result also in grads ver 1.8SL-11.
Then, if you doesn't get me another news, I will finalize that the solution
is to use g2ctl in order to know the geographic area range and the grid
(i.e. xdef and ydef).

Diego

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Diego Morelli [mailto:diego.morelli at trs.it]
Inviato: mercoledì 4 novembre 2009 13.04
A: 'GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT'
Oggetto: R: R: Manage lat-lon thinned grid

Hello Wesley.

I seen that the conversion from grib1 file to grib2 file and, after, the use
of g2ctl.pl (using wgrib2) command to create the descriptor file, give
different information about variable names, levels, format of variable rows,
and in certain cases an information loss.

Your last news opened me a new road, and a new hope.

I tried to copy the two rows about xdef and ydef of descriptor file created
with g2ctl.pl into the descriptor file created with grib2ctl.pl (using
wgrib). Then I built the idx file with the gribmap command without problem,
and grads 2 is able to plot the maps.

My next step is to find a more elegant/correct method to built the
descriptor file.
Can you explain me what procedure and commands did you follow?

Diego