Which version of GrADS can be used in GDS to support NetCDF-4/HDF5

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 2 14:44:09 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> I have not released a version of GrADS that will read netcdf-4. I am in the
> process of testing netcdf-4 with GrADS -- the OPeNDAP interface doesn't yet
> work with sdfopen, and there are are some significant performance issues
> when reading compressed NetCDF files that have yet to be resolved. For
> netcdf-3, or for uncompressed netcdf-4, the performance is fine.If you need
> to serve netcdf-4 with GDS, you can try Arlindo's opengrads builds.

We have been serving NetCDF-4 data for some time now with the OpenGrADS
builds, see for example:

         http://opendap.nccs.nasa.gov:9090/dods/GEOS-5/yotc/0.25_deg/assim

If you are using GDS-2 you want to download the OpenGrADS Bundle
v2.0.a7.oga.3:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads2/2.0.a7.oga.3/

If you are using GDS-1 you want to download v1.10.r2.oga:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads1/1.10.r2/

Both versions support NetCDF-4.

A word of caution regarding NetCDF-4 compression. Make sure you specify the
chuncking size, say, to be a 2D slice of data. Depending on the NetCDF-4
version, the default chunking size may lead to very poor performance during
reading. The recently released LATS extension chooses the chunking size this
way.

      Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva