g2ctl and windows

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 28 12:41:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Burn James <j.burn at geos.com> wrote:

> Hi Arlindo
>
> The main version of Grads we have here is 2.0.a3.oga.1

On  Windows? This must be cygwin based as well.

> We also have access to the Cygwin version of Grads 2.0.a5.oga.4 - some of
> our scripts are using this version now.

I recommend updating to the latest v2.0.a5.oga.5 superpack. It has important
bug fixes. If you intend to use use pygrads you must upgrade to
v2.0.a5.oga.5.

> It was from this version that I
> took the latest version of wgrib2.  The g2ctl I used is an .exe file -so
> perl not needed?

Do not use g2ctl.pl with GrADS v2.0.  This script is on needed for reading
Grib-2 files through the g2 extension with the old GrADS v1.x series. GrADS
v2.0 supports GRIB-2 natively. All you need is to run grib2ctl to create
your ctl. Take a look at the User's Guide:

              http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/grib.html

> Okay, trying with a g2ctl.pl and a perl v 5.6.0 for MSWin - from 2002 by
> the looks - getting some error message: can't locate POSIX.pm in @INC (@INC
> contains: .)  BEGIN Failed - compliation aborted at line 36...  I'll have a
> play with the perl options here - Not sure about how to get a different
> (Cygwin?) version.

You have v2.0, do not use g2ctl. This script was included by mistake.

> BTW I love what you're doing with the other extensions stuff with Grads - I
> run OpenSuse at home and am trying to pluck up courage and get into the
> PyGrads or Perl interface...

While the perl interface is still being maintained for bug fixes and the
like, the python interface is the one receiving more attention and updates
these days. The main reason is that you have a much larger collection of
scientifc software for python than for perl.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu