extracting netcdf data

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 20 10:01:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM, P.R. <romero619 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a netcdf file with gridded data that I want to extract into an ASCII
> file.
> The ascii file should be in an NixNj matrix format.
>
> I also want to change its resolution prior to exporting it.
> Example:
> the grid in the netcdf file has a resolution of 0.0083 degree increments.
> Id like to lower this resolution to 0.05 degrees.

Take a look at the re() function (the one in v2.0.a5.oga.5 recommended).
Just try this

define xxx = re(var,0.05)

the xxx variable should be 0.05x0.05 degrees. Read the documentation for the
full set of options:

                              http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/re/

> I don't have much experience working with netcdf files.

Once grads opens the file correctly it does not quite matter much which
format the data is in (except for performance considerations).

> Can someone please recommend a method to accomplish this task (either using
> GrADS or some other external utility)???

 As Chuck recommends, take a look at Recipe 2 in the cookbooks or search the
list for other alternatives:

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-002:_Saving_GrADS_variable_data_to_a_text_file

          Arlindo

--