Issues with netCDF and opengrads-2.0

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 13 11:21:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> I am able to open this URL with 2.0.a5 and display a variable without
> any crashes on my 64-bit linux server and my mac. I suspect the
> version of the netcdf library linked with 2.0.a5.oga.5 because of the
> "nc3_get_vara_double" in the backtrace. That routine is in netcdf-4.0
> but not libdap-3.7.8. --Jennfier

Confirmed. In fact, doing a ncdump on this URL also segfaults; I have
contacted the NetCDF-4 developers about it. In the meantime, there is a work
around. It turns out the problem is associated with the coodinate variable
time

    int time(time) ;
        time:long_name = "time" ;
        time:axis = "t" ;
        time:units = "minutes since 2008-01-01 00:00:00" ;

which is an integer (instead of a float). (There is nothing wrong  with
using int for coordinate variables, but it triggers this bug). If you create
a simple ddf with 2 lines:

dset
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/dodsC/hioos/nss/ns01/ns01_2009_04_21.nc
TDEF time 360 LINEAR 0z1jan2008 1mn

than everything works.  Another possibility is to serve the data trough GDS
instead of the THREDDS server. Or if rewriting the file is a possibility,
making
 "time" a float would do it as well.

  I'll let you when we have this bug is fixed.

           Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu