GUI window updates on Linux

James T. Potemra jimp at HAWAII.EDU
Thu May 7 13:54:36 EDT 2009

Adam:

This might be a problem with "backing store".  You can check with:

xdpyinfo | grep backing

If the result is backing-store YES, save-unders YES I'm not sure what
your problem is.  If it is not YES, you can set it when you start X (-bs) or
via your xorg.conf (or the equiv on your system) file; try add the line

    Option         "backingstore" "true"

under the "Screen" section.  This should allow you to maintain window
content when you cover them.  Note you'll have to restart X for the new
xorg.conf file to get read.

Jim